Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Love for Sale????

Today, Princess ambushed me with an impromptu invite for lunch at our favorite diner.  I did not want to leave the confines of my home, but in order for me to overcome my mild agoraphobia, I must persevere and leave the house once in a while.

I was sure glad I did today.  We had a conversation that seriously made me reflect and think about how I have carried on in my life.

This is nothing mind blowing to some of you out there.  It is the concept of appreciating those around you instead of appreciating the surroundings or objects.

Now we all enjoy the finer things in life.  Nice homes, cars, Keurig coffee makers, and swanky jewelry.  But how often do we search for the best companion, be it a man or woman, partner or friend with such intensity.  I spent many, many hours in a shopping mall or browsing the Internet.  Hell, when we went to Boston we stayed in a luxury hotel to be in close proximity to Tiffany's and Newbury Street.  I spent many years as a label whore.  I am and was not a Louie Vuitton toting asshole with my teacup poodle in my bag, but I do have Kate Spade (real) and many "nicer" handbags, Tiffany's jewelry (real), and more clothes than anyone five women can wear in a months time, and we will never discuss footwear EVER.  I liked to stay in the nicer hotels, and by that I mean, it has a spa, concierge service, bell hop wearing a funny hat, and someone who is always outside to open the door for me.  And now here I sit and I wonder...what has all of that done for me????

I could of saved money in Boston and still enjoyed Princess and Besti.   We never once commissioned the concierge service or allowed the bell hop to take our bags.  The things that I hold closest to my heart were the people I spent the weekend with.  All my memories are not of the city, or hotel, or the shopping.  They all center around my girls.  And this is just one instance.  I could go on forever about how foolish I was for so many years to think all that material stuff meant something or made me someone better.

I was the one who made myself a better person when it was necessary to do so.  I had to experience love and loss to gain appreciation for the most precious thing I already had, my family.  And having my boy toy and his girl, my husband in law, my Bub and little Bub, Princess and Besti, and the rest of my family on my side everyday is better than any stupid thing I could buy because you can not buy love.  Well you can buy love, but you risk disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment