Saturday, October 9, 2010

You complete me, now go away.

Besti and I were having a conversation a week or so ago about love and soul mates.  Her opinion was that the whole concept of soul mates was bullshit.  With all the people in this world, what is the possibility that only ONE person is made for you. 

It is really something to think about.  And I think she is on to something.

In the past I have believed in soul mates, destiny, and all that other happy horse shit that goes with it.  Now that I am older and wiser, I understand why Besti would think it was bullshit.  Imagine that only one person on this entire planet was made for you and you alone.  We only live in a small portion of this world.  I would think that the odds of your soul mate being in a different country or continent is highly probable.  And then add the fact that even with transportation, what is the likelihood that you would even choose the right place, at the right time to meet you destined lover., your soul mate.

Now, do not get me wrong.  I have been married for 12 years.  The man I married understands me better than anyone else, including myself.  Despite all my downfalls, he loves me.  We click.  We get each other.  I am not saying that everything in our relationship is perfect, but when the going gets tough, I know it is worth it to work out our differences.  I love my man,  he took me in when I was sure no one would want me.  Throughout the years we have built a family and life together.  It is not easy, but it is worth it.  Is he my soul mate? No he is not.  I do not think the heavens parted when we fell in love.  I just believe we were in the right place, at the right time.  If we had made different decisions back then, I am not sure if we would be where we are now.  I do believe that everything that has happened in my life, all the decisions I have made lead me to him.  Everyday I continue to make a decision to move forward, to live my life with him, to love him. 

I have loved others in the past because not all love is the same.  I have experienced puppy love, first love, and now I have true love.  I know it is true because it is not always perfect.  We are sometimes selfish and mean.  We make bad choices and sometimes we get lazy.  I just know that true love is real.  Real hard at times and real easy sometimes.  There is passion and pain all mixed together.  You take the good with the bad and you move on, everyday, no matter what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment