We all know the story, Prince looking for Princess, Prince finds Princess, Queen test Princess with a pea under a gazillion mattresses, Princess passes test because she had a bad night of sleep. Prince marries Princess and live happily ever after, right?
If it was so easy. Let me tell you my version. Princess meets toads, Princess kisses lots of toads, Princess hopes one will turn into a prince, Princess uses Internet to meet more toads, Princess communicates with Prince almost completely via cell phone.....THEN, Toads actually send photos to Princess of something that would keep her awake during the night.
To my amazement some of the P(enis) are mildly entertaining in a way that I have have dubbed her phone a "deli" of sorts. (Get it, man meat....LMAO)
The purpose of this post has nothing to do with Princess's strange mating rituals, although that alone would put me in the running for some big award, it has to do with the way technology has changes our lives.
I was having a conversation the other day with a good friend, Ice Cream Girl, and we were discussing how getting a handwritten letter and a non caller id phone call from a land line has taken the excitement from dating.
Remember the feeling of the phone ringing and NOT knowing who was calling. The excitement of seeing a letter addressed to you. Anticipation of not knowing where someone is and having to wait for them to call back.
Theses are some of the foundations of a relationship. When I first starting dating my husband I got my first cell phone, it was nothing like it is today. It was big and heavy. No pictures, no texting, no Facebook. Just a cell phone and you never brought it with you everywhere. I used it to call him sometimes, but it was never our primary communication. We did things like have conversations face to face, gave greeting cards, spent time together. I would like to think it is some of the reason we are still together. We try to never have a serious conversation over text or cell. No misinterpretations, assumptions, or saying something you would never say if the person was standing in front of you. I am not saying we are completely successful, but we try.
So, I want all of you to think about your relationships and how much of them are reliant on your cell phone. Then I want you to do something to change that for one day. Send a letter, use a land line, make a effort to talk face to face and heart to heart.
I happen to like ps.
ReplyDelete