Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dinner with Dysfunctionals

Every once in a while, if Besti can actually get us all in the same home for a meal, we have "family dinner". 

It does not consist of actual family, but it is Besti, Princess, and I getting together, "breaking some bread", and spending some time together.  Often we invite friends over, because honestly if the three of us could sit at a table and eat together, it would be then that the world would end, and we are not that brave.  Inviting friends over is our way of sharing what we have with others.  It also puts a few more hands in the kitchen to help too, unless you are Princess and you CHEAT by ordering dinner out, which completely defeats the whole purpose around family dinner.  But that my friends, is another post.

This week Besti hosted a dinner. 

Besti has the best family dinners.  Her home is spacious and she has a beautiful screened in porch.  She is a great cook and a good hostess.  I am lucky enough to be her "kitchen bitch" and I learn some things along the way, too bad Princess can not pull her ass off a chair long enough to learn how to boil water on a stove.  I am sure eye fucking the boy toy is beneficial, but at some point I want meat you can actually chew and swallow if you know what I mean. 

We always laugh and reminisce.  We spend the evening together catching up with one another, we invite other friends to share our family dinners with.  It is loud and chaotic.  There is always a mess and tons of leftovers.  Our children play together and continue to build friendships we only hope that last as long as ours.  When dinner is over it is not what we had to eat or drink that soothes me, its knowing that I have these amazing people to fill the voids in my life. 

How fucking lucky am I?  Really fucking lucky.


I have to teach Princess that this is acceptable family dinner eye candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment